Tuesday, October 30, 2012

31 for 21: DAY 30 :: Just the way you are

Believe it or not, people have said regarding Jack's Down syndrome, 
"But, he'll grow out of it, right?" or "But, there's a cure for Down's, right?"
I am not trying to dog anyone's intelligence or knowledge on the topic or anything, but I do want people to understand that Down syndrome is a genetic condition,
not a disease process.

Down Syndrome Fact of the Day #30:

There is no cure for Down syndrome.

Besides, even if there was a cure for Down syndrome, I am not certain I would take away Jack's diagnosis.
I would still do everything in my power to help him lead the happiest,
fullest, and most productive life possible,
but I would leave my Jack just the way he is.
He is the way God made him, and I (and hopefully you too) love him just the way he is,
and I wouldn't change him for the world.


Mommy loves you ... just the way you are!!!
While there is no cure for Down syndrome, research is making strides in identifying the genes on chromosome 21 that cause the characteristics of Down syndrome.  Because of these advances, scientists now feel strongly that it may be possible to improve, correct, or prevent many of the problems with cognition that are associated with Down syndrome.

Individuals with Down syndrome have an extra copy of their 21st chromosome in every cell of their bodies. There is no way of changing that.

What CAN be changed about Down syndrome, however, is
the way people perceive, treat, and value individuals with Down syndrome.

How others view the diagnosis of Down syndrome, treat people with Down syndrome, and make fun and say things that hurt people like my son CAN be changed. 

My greatest hope in this world is for everyone to see Jack the way we see him. 
And, I hope that these last few weeks of reading this has helped you do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment